The red cabbage is a sort of cabbage, also known as purple cabbage, red kraut, or blue kraut after preparation. Its leaves are coloured dark red/purple.
If you like the sweet-tart flavor you’ll enjoy this recipe.
This is a Black Forest Restaurant original Recipe. If you like to use this recipe commercially or distribute it, please contact us for our permission.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced (around 1 kg)
- 90 g sugar
- 30 g Salt
- 80 ml vinegar (Winfried recommends cider vinegar)
- 150 g white onions
- 2 green apples peeled and sliced
- some red wine
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 100 g lard
- Toss cabbage, apples and onion in a large bowl. Add water, vinegar, sugar, red wine and salt.
- Let it rest for about 3 to 4 hours
- Sauté the cabbage with the lard. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.