Rindsrouladen is a very popular dish served for a family lunch on Sundays or on a holiday. Served with red cabbage and mashed potatoes it makes a very savory meal enjoyed by young and old.
- 4 slices boneless round steak, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 2-3 ts Mustard
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 4 Dill Pickles, thinly sliced
- 4 Bacon, Strips
- 1 Onion, large, chopped
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- Some bacon diced (optional)
- 1 liter Beef Broth, hot
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1/2 Bay Leaf
- 1 ts Cornstarch
- Lay steaks on a flat surface. Spread each with mustard; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide pickles, bacon, and onion among the steaks equally. Roll up steaks and secure with beef rolls clamps, toothpicks, or thread.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet, add the steak rolls, and let them brown well on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the bacon carrot then onion. Over low heat cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are glazed.
- Place the Rolls and pour in hot beef broth, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove beef rolls, discard clamps (toothpick or tread), and arrange on a preheated platter.
- Blend cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, stir into gravy and bring to a boil. Boil until gravy is thick and bubbly. Correct seasonings and serve separately.
Serves 4 – Served typically with red cabbage and mashed potatoes.